As I sit back and think sometimes I must admit that it simply amazes me how acclimated we have become as a people to the social media culture. In no way am I one who has come along to bash anyone’s use of social media. I have accounts and you do, too. That’s not what this article is about.
This is about how accustomed have we become to the pull of the “LIKE” button that these social media outlets offer. Let’s face it, how often when you post something do you check to see if it has been “liked” by anybody? How often do you compare the number of likes to that of someone else or something you have posted before? We have become a society obsessed with approval from people.
We are constantly becoming more and more concerned about what people think about us; about their opinions on our lives, clothes, and activities. It’s as if we can’t make a move without people giving us the green light letting us know that we are okay or we’re driving down a path or in a direction they support.
We must stop and ask ourselves what we are training ourselves to believe about ourselves since we need so much confirmation from people to get on with life? What about our children? Those coming up exposed to these internet pulls, at such a young age are their lives being conditioned to find value of self in the “LIKE” buttons of life?
More importantly, are we more concerned about impressing the masses than we are living a life that is pleasing to God? If our lives had a “LIKE” button for Him to push would He be able to push it from the things He sees “posted” (from the things He sees lived out before Him)?
We need to learn to nix the “LIKE” button of life and live for an audience of One. We need to be more concerned if our life is pleasing to God or not.
I don’t know about you but I want to live a life pleasing to God. In the end, this is all that really matters.
Below are verses that will encourage and remind you that God’s opinion is the only opinion that counts. May we be more concerned today about pleasing Him instead of seeking the approval of others.
- “For do I now persuade men, or God? or do I seek to please men? for if I yet pleased men, I should not be the servant of Christ.” – Galatians 1:10
- “For they loved the praise of men more than the praise of God.” – John 12:43
- “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.” – Colossians 3:23
- “Cease ye from man, whose breath is in his nostrils: for wherein is he to be accounted of ?” – Isaiah 2:22
- “When a man’s ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.” – Proverbs 16:7
- “The fear of man bringeth a snare: but whoso putteth his trust in the LORD shall be safe.” – Proverbs 29:25
- “How can ye believe, which receive honour one of another, and seek not the honour that cometh from God only?” – John 5:44.
2 thoughts on “Devotion – Nix the “LIKE” Button of Life”
Ton of wisdom in this…thank you and blessings!
Thank you so much!!! Many blessings to you as well!